When purchased not so long ago there was half a roof and a missing back brick wall, no windows and covered in graffitti.
Regarding the history of it, we discovered this from the Detroit Historic Designation Advisory Board:
“Anton Michenfelder, president of the Bavarian Brewing Company, commissioned the Detroit architectural firm of Hess & Raseman to design this duplex, at an estimated cost of $5,000. It is one of the few architect-designed buildings in Corktown. The partnership of Hess & Raseman was formed in 1885 and continued through 1891. Rasemand had a penchant for industrial buildings, having designed several Detroit breweries, thus his possible connection to Michenfelder. F.J.J. McHugh, a physician, and James Scott, awning and tent manufacturer, were the first occupants of this building.
“This brick duplex is two stories tall on a high basement. An entrance for each half is located on the outer, recessed section of the front facade, and to the side of the entrances are groupings of slightly bowed first story windows. Continuous brownstone sills run along the first and second stories. All ornamental detail on the building is of brick, such as denticulation, voussoirs above the windows, and the short brick pilasters all along the front facade at the attic level. The use of brick and the high attic contribute to the massive appearance of this well-composed building.”